Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Internal Struggles of Granola Glam

I have officially watched one too many "Corporate Documentaries."  I am now thinking it is a must to learn how to make my own shampoo, save seeds......and well....learn how to can.  I'm currently debating on which company to buy soap nuts from and which shampoo recipe to try.  I'm feeling as though the end is near. If I turn this corner, I might never return.  Am I destined to be a dirty hippie?  (I mean that as a term of endearment.) My days of salivating over Horchow are nearing an end...my heart races at the thought. I'm a little bit glamour, a little bit granola girl. I feel so torn. On the other hand, at least Horchow is up front about what they are.  I am in no way, shape, or form under the impression that a tree hugging hipster named Maggie is behind Horchow.  Now, if you are a soap nuts company and are promoting chemical-free organic laundry detergent... Why on earth do you put it in a brightly printed box and then in a cellophane wrapper.  Please! Nothing that gets under my skin more than a hypocritical dirty hippie. Oh, wait...it's a trust fund hypocritical dirty hippie.  I digress. There is no Maggie, is there? Oh, and the baby breastfeeding doesn't fool me.


Ahhh, yes.  Now where was I?



I have been staring at this screen, contemplating....Is it really more expensive to live healthier?  The soap nuts weren't more expensive and they grow on trees.  It's hard to weed through the "organic" and "natural" companies now that it is so trendy.  I need to be a physicist to know what I'm reading....even on the "organic and natural" products?  That doesn't seem right....Or I can pay an outrageous price to keep chemicals off my family's head and skin.  Can't trust them either.  That brings me here.  Reading anything that google gives me.  I even pulled out my Lavender Deodorant that I bought at Whole Foods in Cali.....you know, the one that didn't smell like Rain so I put it in the back of the cabinet along with my convictions.  I opted to buy the big momma pack of Dove @ Costco.  Sweet Buddha!  Hey, I'm trying people! I want to see my baby get married one day.  My deodorant...or fear of BO shouldn't keep me from that. Can you tell I'm a little stressed about all this?

  I've been trying to save money....so yes I have discarded all Salon Products for some time now....ok, minus hairspray.....ok and fine Chi Serum.  But for those of you that know me and may have lived with me at one point in time.  You know, down to two products and Dove Shampoo bought in bulk is a monumental feat.  So here I am looking at these Shampoo Recipes....that all contain my favorite Castile Soap I might add.  I get to thinking.  Making my own will be more cost efficient, healthy, and MOST importantly more fun.  So, where's the compromise?  I get to add in my own essential oils which is what I want more of in my Salon Products.  More over, I get to rid my hair of the year of build up that over the counter products have caused.  For those of you that may...and I might be flattering myself, but I'll risk embarrassing myself for the sake of the cause.  For those of you that may be thinking, "What is she talking about, she has nice hair."  The truth is, that since I gave birth to Georgia my scalp has been all out of whack.  Not even the salon products helped.  Ya know what did?  Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap.  I use it as a scalp treatment.  It feels like a spa treatment and makes me a believer in the power of essential oils on the psyche.  Ay yi yi, I still have a recipe to post.  Best wind this down.  So now you know.  I think I'm about to make some changes around our house....and maybe I'll realize I'd rather have cancer than BO.  I hope not.

My Pick's

#1 Essential Oils, Butter, Herbs, and Spices: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/index.php?AID=096041&BID=8040

No comments:

Post a Comment