Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stale Bread=Green Bean Casserole

 For those of you who have requested this blog.  Remember, you asked for this.  I am not a culinary guru.  I only own a handful of cookbooks.  I am a google whatcha got and make it work kinda gal.  So, for all of the mistakes that you all will witness...and I assure you today will only the the beginning.  I am not shamed.  I never once have pretended to be Suzie Homemaker and today will only remind you all of that.  With that said.  Last nights recipe was the result of one thing.  I made bread for all of the loved ones that I was able to see this Thanksgiving.  That made four loaves, one for each family....with half a loaf leftover that was for our family.  This bread that was made with love with my very own hands spent the holidays...Alone....in Colorado, on my kitchen counter.  This poses as an issue as I am lucky to share my days with a man that is very irritated by waste.  This leads me to my computer where I google...Stale Bread Recipes......Voila!  Hit after hit of lovely ideas.  Now time to evaluate...what is about to go bad????  I have six little red peppers dying to be used and not tossed.  Green Beans, butter, milk, onion....check....and let's not forget my bread crumbs.  Green Bean Casserole it is and lucky for us no one made this for the holidays.  Let's get started.  Also, a warning to those rule followers out there.  I see recipes as only a guide....I cook as I go and sometimes I risk salmonella.....


GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE 
The Whole Gangs Here
My Lovely Stale Bread, Green Beans, Onion, Red Pepper
Here is where Salmonella could happen.  If I had thought ahead.....the bacon would have browned first before the veggies.  It was an after thought following the butter....For the record...No Salmonella Today.

I tossed the bacon out and into my chicken thighs.  After everything was softened up I threw in large pinches of flour which in my mind is equal to the 2 tbs.  When that all was mixed Georgia stirred as I slowly added the milk.  Frankly, I didn't measure my green beans so I kept adding milk until it looked sufficient and seasoned to my....excuse me, OUR liking.  My Sous Chef did a fabulous job.

When my green beans were nice and hot I drained the liquid and tossed them in with our yummy sauce.

I melted my butter and added some Oregano as it is my only surviving dried herb at this time.  Georgia then tossed in on top of my butter and mixed it up.

Sprinkled it on top of my green beans and popped into the oven.

In twenty minutes it was bubbling and browned.
Just Beautiful, Enjoy.


Green Bean Casserole


Ingredients:

  • 16 ounces frozen French-style green beans, cooked and drained
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 3 tablespoons minced onion
  • 3 tablespoons minced pimiento or roasted red pepper
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • herb seasoning blend, optional

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, heat butter; add onion and pimiento or red pepper and cook over medium-low heat until onion is tender. Add flour and stir until well blended. Gradually add the 1 1/4 cups half-and-half or whole milk. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Thin with a little of the green bean cooking liquid or a little more half-and-half or milk, if necessary. Combine with the drained cooked green beans. Spray a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Spoon green bean mixture into the baking dish. In a bowl, toss bread crumbs with melted butter and herb seasoning blend, if using; sprinkle evenly over green bean mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes, until bubbly. Broil for a few minutes to brown bread crumbs more, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.



No comments:

Post a Comment